Everton FC

Moyes disputes Everton owner ‘failure’ claims

David Moyes has disputed claims by Everton’s owners that last season was ‘a failure’.

The Friedkin Group’s verdict on their first full campaign in charge at Hill Dickinson Stadium was revealed by CEO Angus Kinnear on Tuesday during media rounds.

Moyes’ side stood on the cusp of a European qualification place heading into the final seven games of the campaign but finished 13th after failing to win any of them.

Kinnear insisted ‘appropriate pressure’ had been applied by the Blues’ hierarchy to ensure they could reach ‘the next stage’ in the wake of the continental shortfall.

But the Everton manager hit back at suggestions that he underperformed on Friday and insists no targets were set by the club’s figureheads Dan and Ryan Friedkin.

“Well I was hugely disappointed we didn’t make it [for Europe],” said Moyes.

“It took me a long time in the summer to even [start to] get over it. I’m only just getting over it, really.

“To be in Europe makes a big difference. It means much more money coming into the club. It means a better chance to sign a different level of player.

“You can also try and keep a bigger squad working because you have more regular games so for me, there was a lot of reasons why I wanted it to happen.

“I’m surprised they were disappointed because there was never any time that anybody said ‘David, you need to make Europe’ or ‘you have to be in and around the top end’.

.”I think everybody wanted to make sure we moved into the new stadium safe [from relegation], not having too difficult a season and we certainly did that last year.”